JOB DESCRIPTION: Communications Executive
Context of role
Compact and beautiful, York is a modern cosmopolitan city with deep historic roots spanning over 2000 years.
Make It York is the city’s destination management organisation, enhancing and promoting York as a world-class destination.
We lead on the city’s tourism strategy and promote York regionally, nationally and internationally to leisure and business visitors via our Visit York brand and channels. This encompasses all aspects of tourism marketing and communications, as well as resident engagement, market intelligence and supporting our member businesses.
We ensure that culture is relevant and accessible to everybody in York with an ambitious culture strategy - by 2025 we believe York will be known as a city where outstanding, renowned heritage comes together with a cutting-edge and contemporary approach to creativity.
We keep the city centre relevant and enticing for both residents and visitors by curating a high-profile calendar of city centre festivals, activities and events, as well as managing the iconic Shambles Market.
Job title: Communications Executive
Reporting to: Communications Manager
Location: The role is currently being worked on a hybrid home/central York basis and may be subject to change
Key working relationships: Marketing and Communications team and wider MIY team
Key stakeholder relationships: Visit York membership, media organisations (local, regional and national)
Main purpose of role
To support and work closely with the Communications Manager across all PR and communications activity for both Make It York (corporate) and Visit York (consumer):
- Raising and maintaining the corporate profile of Make It York and its work with key audiences
- Promoting the city of York to the local, regional, national and international media as a must-visit destination under the Visit York (consumer facing) brand
- Tactical PR activity including event promotion and coverage related to the Shambles Market and city centre events, such as the St Nicholas Christmas Market and Ice Trail
- Communications activity targeting York residents as part of a wider engagement strategy for the city
Main Responsibilities and Key Tasks
- To support the delivery of both a Make It York and Visit York communications strategy to include:
- A consumer, residents and trade tourism audience, bearing in mind the need to develop as wide an appeal as possible to key markets, including taking a lead on the management of press and blogger visits
- Coordinating and ensuring the consistency of message on behalf of York and its tourism sector as part of the wider tourism strategy and marketing / communications plan
- Maintaining relationships and networks with York’s key players in the tourism sector, with a particular focus on Visit York members
- Raising and maintaining the profile of Visit York (as a part of MIY) amongst key players locally and nationally including DCMS, VisitEngland, Welcome to Yorkshire etc.
- Assisting in the development and maintenance of a network of media contacts locally, regionally and nationally, including traditional, broadcast and digital
- Taking a lead on developing and maintaining a network of influencers (social media, bloggers) in key markets to continually keep York at the forefront of target audiences’ minds
- Handling media enquiries (in liaison with the Communications Manager) on a day to day basis, providing a one-stop-shop for media enquiries, preparing appropriate editorial and news releases where appropriate
- Preparing and updating all media material, including media kits and factsheets, and co-ordinate distribution of the bi-monthly media newsletter, working closely with the Communications Manager
- Administering a resource base to support PR activities, for example the press database and media clippings service
- Coordinating the media clippings database and producing a monthly analytical report on all media coverage
- Contributing and planning content for social media platforms including @VisitYork, @visityorkbiz and @makeityork
- Working closely with the Communications Manager and the Senior Marketing and Communications manager to ensure brand consistency
- Taking the lead on updating and managing of the media / latest news sections of visityork.org and makeityork.com
- Deputising for the Consumer Communications Manager as required
- Supporting the collation and distribution of monthly statistics as part of the wider Visit York research and intelligence dashboards
Skills and Experience
- 18 months to 2 years’ experience in a PR / Comms role, ideally within a tourism, leisure or hospitality environment
- Evidence of understanding the delivery of PR campaigns, especially in the digital space
- Ability to work with a wide range of partners externally
- Ability to work with colleagues from varied backgrounds and experiences
- Experience of consumer and public sector communications as well as some exposure to B2B would be beneficial, along with an understanding of different approaches for opportunities and requests
- Dynamic, enthusiastic and up for grabbing the opportunity to take the promotion of York to the highest levels
Hours of work
Full time – 37.5hrs per week Monday to Friday. Occasional out of hours working may be required.
Note - this is a re-advertisement and previous applicants need not apply.
CV and covering letter to be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 15.00 Friday 29 October
Interviews will be held: Monday 8 November