Communications (PR) Manager
Context of role
Compact and beautiful, York is a modern cosmopolitan city with deep historic roots spanning over 2000 years.
Make It York is the city’s destination management organisation, enhancing and promoting York as a world-class destination.
We lead on the city’s tourism strategy and promote York regionally, nationally and internationally to leisure and business visitors via our Visit York brand and channels. This encompasses all aspects of tourism marketing and communications, as well as resident engagement, market intelligence and supporting our member businesses.
We ensure that culture is relevant and accessible to everybody in York with an ambitious culture strategy - by 2025 we believe York will be known as a city where outstanding, renowned heritage comes together with a cutting-edge and contemporary approach to creativity.
We keep the city centre relevant and enticing for both residents and visitors by curating a high-profile calendar of city centre festivals, activities and events, as well as managing the iconic Shambles Market.
Main purpose of role
The Communications (PR) Manager will be responsible for the PR and communications activity of both Make It York (corporate) and Visit York (consumer):
- Raising and maintaining the corporate profile of Make It York and its work with key audiences
- Promoting the city of York to the local, regional, national and international media as a must-visit destination under the Visit York (consumer facing) brand
- Taking responsibility for all tactical PR activity including events promotion and coverage related to the Shambles Market and city centre events, such as the St Nicholas Christmas Market and Ice Trail
- Leading on communications activity targeting York residents as part of a wider engagement strategy for the city
Job title: Communications Manager
Reporting to: Senior Marketing and Communications Manager
Location: This position is currently on a hybrid home/central York office basis and may be subject to change
Key working relationships: Marketing and Communications team, especially the Leisure and Digital Marketing teams, Events and Commercial teams
Key stakeholder relationships: National, regional and local media, Visit York members, City of York Council, York BID
People responsibility: Communications Executive
Main responsibilities and key tasks
- Establishing and overseeing the delivery of communications (PR) strategies for both Make It York and Visit York to include:
- A consumer, resident and travel trade (tourism) audience under the Visit York brand, bearing in mind the need to develop as wide an appeal as possible to key markets, including the management of blogger and press visits and itineraries
- Raising and maintaining the profile of Make It York as an organisation amongst key players locally and nationally (i.e. corporate communications), bearing in mind the need to develop as wide an appeal as possible to key audiences, government, media, etc.
- Ensuring PR and communications campaigns are aligned with wider marketing campaigns and activities
- Coordinating and ensuring consistency of messaging on behalf of York and its tourism sector (as part of the city’s wider tourism strategy)
- Maintaining relationships and networks with York’s key players in the tourism sector, with a specific focus on Visit York members
- Raising and maintaining the profile of Visit York (as a part of Make It York) amongst key players locally and nationally including, but not limited to, DCMS, Visit England, Visit Britain and Welcome to Yorkshire
- Liaising with the City of York Council Communications team to ensure smooth working relationships
- Developing and maintaining a network of media contacts locally, regionally and nationally, including traditional, broadcast and digital, to cover both consumer and corporate messaging as required
- Working with a network of influencers in key markets to continually keep York at the forefront of various different target audiences’ minds
- Taking responsibility for both proactive and reactive media relations regarding both consumer and corporate activity, including but not limited to Shambles Market & Food Court, York Christmas Market, York Ice Trail etc.
- Linked to this, ensuring that MIY policies regarding standards, quality and outputs of the organisation are delivered and maintained
- Directing the messaging and delivering key messages across our suite of websites, with a specific focus on the media / news sections of VisitYork.org and makeityork.com, in conjunction with the Digital Marketing team
- Working closely with the Senior Marketing and Communications Manager to ensure brand consistency across all channels and campaigns
- Line managing the Communications Executive
- Managing the Communications budget
Skills and Experience
- At least 4 years’ experience in a PR / Comms role, ideally within a tourism, leisure or hospitality environment
- Experience in the delivery of effective PR campaigns
- Good existing networks and the ability to grow and establish new ones
- Ability to work with a wide range of external partners
- Ability to work with colleagues from varied backgrounds and experiences
- Experience of consumer and public sector communications, as well as some exposure to B2B, would be beneficial, along with an understanding of different approaches for opportunities and requests
- Dynamic, enthusiastic and up for grabbing the opportunity to take the promotion of York to the highest levels
Hours of work
Full time - 37.5 hours per week Monday to Friday. Occasional out of hours working may be required.
Please note that as the application window is quite tight, we would encourage interested candidates to submit applications without delay.
Send cv and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Wednesday 29th September
Interviews will be held: Tuesday 5th October