JOB DESCRIPTION: Events Manager (Fixed term maternity leave cover for approx 10 months)
Context of role
Make It York is the Destination Management Organisation for the city and its purpose is to grow the city’s economic prosperity and wider well-being. Included in its remit are city positioning and profile-raising; city centre and Shambles Market management and festivals and events. It markets the city and its surroundings nationally and internationally as an attractive and vibrant place to live, visit, study, work and do business. Make It York is also charged with driving forward York’s Cultural Strategy.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced Events Manager with excellent project management skills and attention to detail, who can hit the ground running. They will be working with a broad range of stakeholders across the city, as well as regionally, nationally and internationally. The role will suit an enthusiastic, organised and relationship-focused individual, who has significant experience in all elements of running large events, including revenue generation, budget control, attendee recruitment and event evaluation.
The role will lead on the development, coordination and delivery of a portfolio of major events for both residents and visitors, including corporate events like the Tourism Awards and large-scale events such as the York Ice Trail and Residents Festival. Later this year the postholder will be working alongside key partners for the Rugby League World Cup.
Job title: Events Manager
Reporting to: Head of Culture and Wellbeing
Location: 1 Museum Street/hybrid working
Key working relationships: Events, Marketing, PR, Commercial and Communications Teams
Key stakeholder relationship: A range of key partners city-wide
Budget responsibility: Event budgets
Main responsibilities and key tasks
- Plan, design, coordinate and deliver a programme of events for a broad range of audiences, ensuring that they meet the agreed objectives, are delivered to budget and on time: including the Rugby League World Cup, Residents Festival, York Ice Trail, Visit York Tourism Awards and Conference, Make It York Stakeholder Event, Yorkshire Day and any other one off or new events. Also provide support to third party events and event organisers in the city as required.
- Project manage events from conception to on-the-day logistics, liaising with venues, suppliers, exhibitors, attendees, volunteers and colleagues. This includes producing detailed project plans and timelines, ensuring tasks are completed to time, and setting and overseeing event budgets.
- Manage on site requirements of all events ensuring all health and safety regulations are adhered to; including producing risk assessments, completing event safety plans/forms where necessary and contacting appropriate constabularies where required.
- Oversee on-the-day logistics of events including liaising with all external parties. Providing detailed briefing notes internally ensuring all staff are clear on what they are required to do on the day.
- Produce copy for all areas associated with events including event programmes, speaker briefings, event web copy and scripts.
- Liaise with the Commercial Team to develop and promote appealing sponsorship packages and encourage the development and commercial sponsorship for Make It York events.
- Work closely with the Marketing and Communications team throughout each project timeframe to ensure robust event communications, including PR, social media, e-newsletter coverage and key stakeholder messaging, as well as supporting the development of creative design elements for events as necessary, including film, visuals and branding.
- Monitor and evaluate events, including post-event feedback and provide reports for senior management and the Make It York Board of Directors.
- Maintain key stakeholder and partner relationships across the city, including with City of York Council, media partners, Visit York members, universities and other key businesses in the city.
- Schedule and lead internal meetings ensuring minutes are captured and circulated and tasks are actioned within the agreed time scales.
- Ability to use event platforms including Eventbrite, Open Water and other online booking systems.
Key personal attributes and experience
- A minimum of 3 years’ event management experience covering a range of events
- Exceptional project management skills
- Excellent attention to detail, relationship management and planning skills
- Good written and verbal communication skills to include producing copy for scripts, web copy and briefings for staff
- An ability to work independently, use initiative and prioritise whilst working on multiple events
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and to enjoy a very varied workload
- Strong communicator and team player with a positive ‘can do’ attitude
- Experience in generating sponsorship and/or event revenue. An eye for commercial opportunities and negotiation skills to deliver the best value from venues and services
- Experience in budget setting and management
- The ability to lead and manage project teams
Hours of work
37.5 hours per week, Monday to Friday. Some evening and weekend working will be required to meet the needs of events management.
This is a fixed term position for approximately 10 months.
The position is currently worked on a remote basis and this may continue in some form ie hybrid working in the future.
It would be ideal for the successful candidate to start the 10 month fixed term contract in mid-August in order to facilitate a handover period with the current postholder.
CV and covering letter to be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: noon on Friday 25 June
Interviews will be held: Monday 5 July