Job title: Indoor Sales Assistant
This is a temporary position until 30th June 2020. The position includes working alternate weekends and some Bank Holidays. The working pattern is 7 days per fortnight on a rota basis, although exact hours are still to be confirmed.
Hours of work
Monday to Saturday
October to February – 9.00am to 5.30pm
March to September – 9.00am to 6.00pm
We have a late night opening on a Tuesday, the Garden Centre closes at 8.00pm.Therefore you may be required to work 11.00am – 8.00pm on a Tuesday on a rota basis.
10.15am to 4.30pm/4.45pm (depending on time of year)
Personal skills & Requirements
As being a sales assistant requires a lot of customer interaction, being helpful and polite is a vital requirement, in addition to this you will need
- To enjoy working with the public
- To have good communication skills
- To be physically fit as the work requires being on your feet for most of the day and requires stock to be lifted
- To be able to work as part of a team
- To have a confident manner
- To be flexible
- To have a good understanding of the indoor products a Garden Centre sells, plus knowledge of the outdoor products would also be useful
- To have had retail experience including till work
Main Responsibilities & Duties
- To give help and advice to customers.
- To work on the check out and information desk as per the rota.
- To receive incoming deliveries and to check the items received against the delivery note and to record and report any shortages or discrepancies.
- To price, merchandise and display new stock and to ensure the sales area is topped up with stock from the storerooms ensuring stock rotation is maintained at all times.
- To have an understanding of the EPOS system, RF scanners and label printer and to keep up to date with any changes or new introductions with the system.
- To assist with maintaining the cleanliness and high standards of the Garden Centre, this includes dusting the stock and shelves, sweeping up, vacuuming and general cleaning and tidying up
- To be aware of Health and Safety matters and security matters and be vigilant at all times
- To maintain a good knowledge of the products within your normal working area and to maintain a basic knowledge of the products within the Garden Centre.
- It is essential that good communication is maintained at all times with customers, fellow employees and the management.
- You may be required to work one day per week on the outdoor sales area.
This list is not exhaustive and as part of your job you may be asked to carry out some duties that are not listed.
Application forms are available on our website:
Completed application forms and CV to be returned to:
Mrs H Jones
Dean’s Garden Centre
York. YO32 9UE
The closing date for the above position will be Monday 27th January 2020.