Job Title: Outdoor Sales Assistant
This will be a permanent full-time position, which includes working alternate weekends and half of the Bank Holidays that we are open. The working pattern is 10 days per fortnight on a rota basis, with Thursday being the usual weekly day off.
Hours of work
Monday to Saturday
October – February - 9.00 am to 5.30 pm
March to September - 9.00 am to 6.00 pm
We have a late night opening on a Tuesday, and you will be required to work 11.00am – 8.00pm for two Tuesdays out of four.
9.00am/10.15 am – 4.45 pm (depending on the time of year)
Personal skills & Requirements
As the position involves a high amount of customer interaction, being helpful and polite is a vital requirement, in addition to this, you will need:
- To have a good knowledge of plants, general horticulture and gardening
- To enjoy working with the public
- To have good communication skills
- To be physically fit, as the work requires being on your feet for most of the day, requires stock to be lifted and moved and plants to be watered
- To enjoy working outside in all weather
- To be able to work as part of a team
- To have a confident manner
- To be flexible
- To have knowledge of fish and aquatic products and hard landscaping products would be useful
- To have a clean driving licence
- To have a basic understanding of computers
Training will be given
Main Responsibilities & Duties
- To give help and advice to customers on all outdoor plants e.g. shrubs, trees, conifers, fruit trees, climbing plants, hedging, bedding plants, vegetable plants etc.
- To water and weed plants and trees as necessary and to observe for and report any signs of pest or diseases to the outdoor manager or supervisor.
- To receive deliveries, ensuring that the number of cartons / plants received corresponds with the number on the consignment note / delivery note and that the goods are received in good condition.
- To ensure the delivery log is completed for all deliveries and that the correct Dutch Trolley and shelves are exchanged as appropriate.
- To check deliveries of stock against the delivery note and to record and report any shortages or discrepancies.
- To price, merchandise and display new stock, ensuring stock rotation is maintained at all times.
- To have an understanding of the EPOS system, RF scanners and label printer and to keep up to date with any changes or new introductions the system.
- To assist with the maintenance and watering of the floral displays and hanging baskets.
- To assist in other areas of the Garden Centre or at our Nursery if required.
- To assist with maintaining the cleanliness and high standards of the Garden Centre, this includes general cleaning and tidying
- To lift heavy / bulky items into customers cars.
- To assist the main delivery driver with deliveries to customer’s houses if required.
- To be vigilant at all times, observing for and reporting anything suspicious.
- To drive company vehicles as required.
- To be aware of Health and Safety matters and keep up to date with legislation and be prepared to undertake training that may be necessary due to new legislation.
- To maintain a thorough knowledge of the products within your normal working area and to maintain a basic knowledge of the products within the Garden Centre.
- You may also be required to work at our Nursery.
- It is essential that good communication is maintained at all times with customers, fellow employees and the management. Good working relationships within the company ensure the full development of any ideas an employee may wish to discuss. Positive, constructive and above all practical ideas to improve efficiency or promote business are always welcome.
This list is not exhaustive and as part of your job you may be asked to carry out some duties that are not listed.
The closing date for applications is Monday 27th January 2020
Application forms are available on our website:
Completed application forms, CV and covering latter to be returned to:
Mrs H Jones
Dean’s Garden Centre