If you're looking for a job that is part of the local community, with beautiful views and friendly customers, then becoming a bus driver could be for you. As a driver you will travel in and around the historic city of York. You'll work on your own initiative and take ownership of your bus, looking after passenger safety and providing a great customer experience.
As a trainee bus driver, you will be earning £8.50 per hour for the first 6 months, this will increase to £10.04 for a further 6 months to which you will increase to our current top rate of £11.86.
York is a unique depot, with an office and canteen in the heart of York city centre and bus depot on the outskirts. The drivers have a sports & social club that is very active, playing Badminton on Tuesdays, running weekend family trips and staff parties.
About the Role
You'll drive different routes on the city, university and/or Park & Ride fleet, issuing tickets and promoting contactless payments. You will pick people up and drop them off at their destinations on time.
You'll receive all the training and support you need to develop your skills, achieve your full potential and get a PCV (Passenger Carrying Vehicle) licence.
• You will be a friendly face who can work confidently on your own and handle cash responsibly
• You must be passionate about providing the best service to your passengers
• You must be aged 18 or above and have a full driving licence with no more than 3 points
• You should also be helpful, reliable and a good communicator
• Happy to work a variety of shifts including early mornings, late evenings and weekends
• Calm under pressure
Once you've completed your probation period, you'll enjoy fantastic benefits which include:
• Free travel on all First buses (and your family and friends will also benefit from cheap bus travel)
• Discounted travel for you and your family on trains (GWR, TPE, Hull Trains)
• First Xclusives - Over 3,000 offers on goods and services for you, your family and friends
• Share in our success – Buy discounted shares in First
• Pension – You'll automatically join our scheme and start building a pension pot
• Free life assurance – For all members of our pension scheme.
One of Britain's largest bus operators, we connect communities and help people to go to school, work and the shops. Every single day around 1.6 million passengers get on board our 6,400 buses. It's why we're so passionate about providing services that are reliable, punctual and offer good value for money. We're also proud to be part of the First Group family that's based all around the world from the UK and Ireland to the USA, Canada and Mexico.
Interested? Put your customer service skills into action and apply to be a Bus Driver!